Because sometimes you want just the damn recipe.
1 1/4 c (156 g) all-purpose flour
3/4 c (64 g) dutch process cocoa power (I used 40 g Valrhona and 24 g black cocoa)
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 t ground cloves
1 t cinnamon
3/4 c (150 g) maple sugar
1/4 c (50 g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
112 g walnut oil
240 g whole milk yogurt
2 t coffee extract
1. Prepare a 9” round cake pan and preheat your oven to 350°
2. In a medium bowl, sift (please do sift) together the dry ingredients.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
4. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 28 to 32 minutes until the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, the top springs back lightly when pressed in the middle, and, if you need extra reassurance, a toothpick inserted in the center comes back clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove to a rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners sugar as desired, stencil or not. I hope your troubled times end soon.
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache
Prep a 9” round cake pan and pre-heat your oven to 350°
125 g all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t each ground nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and ginger
120 g walnut oil
1 large egg
110 g brown sugar
25 g granulated sugar
1/2 of a 15 oz can of pure pumpkin puree
1 t vanilla extract
In a medium-sized bowl sift together all of the Dry ingredients. In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together the Wet ingredients. Fold the dry into the wet. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake 23-25 minutes until the cake starts pulling away from the sides of the pan, the center spring back lightly when pressed, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes back with just a few clinging crumbs.
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a rack to cool completely. Frost the top liberally with whipped ganache made from your desired chocolate. Top with pumpkin seeds mussed up in olive oil, cinnamon, and sugar and toasted.